1. Careers
If you are thinking of becoming a doctor, you have many decisions to make, not the least of which is figuring out what type of physician you would like to be. Some medical students seem to know from day one what medical specialty they would like to practice, while other physicians don't decide until they are near graduating with their medical degree.

How do you know what type of medicine is the best fit for you? Many physicians feel that each medical specialty attracts certain personality types. What do you think? How will you, or did you, decide what type of physician career is best for you?

Comments
August 9, 2009 at 10:32 am
(1) nicole heckstall says:

i know there are many type of doctors. i want to be a doctor but i dont know which one to pick it i very diffuclut. i dont want to deal with blood but at the ame time i want to make as much a a doctor can make. where do i

August 10, 2009 at 12:05 pm
(2) Gabs MD says:

Well.. I am a doctor myself. Its nice to come out after more than 10 years of education and training. Being a doctor is a very rewarding yet very stressful profession.
What I advice is.. do what you want in your life.. without regretting later on.

Doctors are known for their factual basis of reasoning. However, if you value natural therapy better than pharmaceutical therapy, you might wanna be a naturopathic doctor.
If you want to learn about naturopathy, the latest trend nowadays is about plant stem cell therapy.

March 3, 2010 at 10:16 pm
(3) Dany Garcia says:

I’m a high school student, its senior year and i recently discovered that what i want to do with my life is medicine I realized this doing a project on the brain dealing with arousal. I’m not sure about what type of physician i want to become, but i love medicine and always had an eye for if but never got into it.

March 20, 2010 at 3:08 pm
(4) anna diasoni says:

for me, becoming a doctor is my life,I know there is many type of doctors, but I want to become a doctor , but i don’t know which one, becuase there is many names , i don’t know what to do , all i know is that i want to be a doctor , that is all about human and animals

March 26, 2010 at 11:41 am
(5) Dr. Shankman says:

Hello, i am a doctor, i am a surgeon and been one for about 5 year’s now. I am making about 410,000 yearly got money for a big house with four floors and a mercedes for i and my wife, i have allot of money to save after paying house bills im making $88/hour, so i suggest become a surgeon study no matter what it takes and youll live a life

April 13, 2010 at 11:16 pm
(6) Megan says:

Hi, I’m a sophomore in high school and I am starting to look into becoming a doctor. I really want to be an OBGYN, but i’m scared about being too tied down at work, being on call 24/7, having kids of my own, and the 12 years of school.. Any advice?

June 4, 2010 at 5:35 pm
(7) Gabrielle Franchetti says:

Hi, I am a junior at high school. for some time now i have wanted to be in the medical feild. but i just can not decide. i love everything about the human body i do not like just one thing. i was looking at Trauma surgeon because i love not knowing whats going to happen. but now im having second thoughts. i dont know.

July 19, 2010 at 1:03 pm
(8) John B says:

To all you high schoolers. I wouldn’t worry as to what field of medicine you want to go into at this point. Undergraduate school will you plenty of opportunities to explore multiple paths of medicine or could even make you change your mind to something completely different. I was the same way. I wanted to be an orthopedic surgeon. I ended up changing to civil engineering. Then i changed again to Biomedical engineering. I now have my degree in biomedical eng. and am going to go to optometry school. So as there are many twists and turns you will gain experience and meet people that will influence you to your ultimate decision. Don’t be afraid to ask doctors to shadow them. Most people love it when young kids take an interest in what they do.

July 31, 2010 at 2:24 am
(9) Nicholas says:

Im a sophomore in high school and I am in a pre-med program, I think i want to do something in medicine, but I have some doubts. I love all types of sciences and I am not fully sure if becoming a doctor is what i want. Maybe a scientist but do you think this program will be good for either one of these careers? My school makes me take earth science, biology/living environment, genetics, chemistry, anatomy, pharmacology, physics, DNA, and AP bio all in four years.

August 12, 2010 at 11:46 pm
(10) JEMICA SWIFT says:

THE TYPE OF DOCTOR I WANT TO BE IS A PEDIATRICION OR A SERGEON TO SUCEED YOU MUST HAVE GOD

October 13, 2010 at 12:18 pm
(11) KHOMOTSO says:

since i was very young ive always wanted to be a plastic surgeon now im 12 years old nd i think i have some second doubts,i mean people say being a doctor is hardwork,late nights nd u wont even have time for yourself but to me im ready 4 all dat

March 14, 2011 at 11:23 am
(12) Megadyne says:

I’ve been wanting to try an alternative medicine doctor. I’m scared though because they don’t have to be certified so you never know what you’re going to get.

July 23, 2012 at 7:54 pm
(13) Shari says:

I want to become something in life but i don’t know what so i thought about doctor, but don’t know which one?

November 17, 2012 at 9:25 am
(14) What up says:

I must say I am scared at all the spelling errors made by our future “doctors”. Learn the basics first people, like how to spell surgeon!!

December 10, 2012 at 5:01 pm
(15) Jemica Swift says:

I know wha type of doctor i wanted to be from i was 5 years old. I want to be a peadiatrician because helping is my passion. Making others happy’ just makes me happy. :) .

March 2, 2013 at 10:02 am
(16) hello says:

hi im 13 years old and i was thinking about becoming a doctor but dont know which one

May 1, 2013 at 9:45 pm
(17) Navit says:

My dad is a doctor and my sister is also in medical school, I want to become a doctor, an orthopedic but I’m worried that theres already quite alot of orthopedics and I won’t have a job

August 9, 2013 at 3:47 am
(18) John says:

hallo maa name is jjohn i want to be doctor but sometimes in life it iz 4 da better. i want to put my arm in a cows bottom and pull at it is intestines which feild is good 4 me. help me plz

December 7, 2013 at 8:26 am
(19) FridaKahlo says:

it is good that medical school lasts that long, you can see, learn and choose the best specialization for you. It is a very important job, I think that medicine should be more a calling than just a job.