Among the top 100 companies, 21 are in the healthcare field, including six pharmaceutical companies, four medical device/equipment manufacturers, three home healthcare providers, and two healthcare IT firms. Only one hospital system made the list: Community Health Systems, which owns and operates 123 community hospitals nationwide.
Below are the top five ranking healthcare firms, along with their rankings.
- 6. SXC Health Solutions, Illinois - Health IT firm
- 10. HMS Holdings, New York City - Medical claim processing and recovery services
- 13. Thoratec, Pleasanton, Calif. - Manufactures heart pumps for patients with advanced heart failure, increasing their survival rate while they wait for heart transplant
- 14. Almost Family, Louisville, Kentucky - This company provides in-home medical care in 11 states. A staff of 6,000 medical professionals includes nurses, occupational therapists, speech pathologists, and home health aides.
- 21. Intuitive Surgical, Sunnyvale Calif., - manufactures surgical robotic equipment that aid physicians with intricate surgeries in urology and gynecology.
Many of these companies are hiring as they continue to grow, so if you are currently seeking a position, or plan to find a new job in the near future, these companies are worth knowing. Several of the companies on the list employ both clinical and non-clinical healthcare professionals. Additionally, the top companies listed are located in nearly every region of the country, plus a few international firms, so no matter where you live or want to live, there is most likely a company near you.
To view the complete list of 100 companies, see the full report at CNNMoney.com.