The careers and employment status of professionals who are over the age of 50, particularly those over 55, have been significantly impacted throughout the recession and recovery. However, the healthcare industry, which has continued to perform above all other industries throughout the downturn, offers many opportunities for workers over 50, according to the AARP.
The AARP recently released its 2011 list of "Best Employers for Workers Over 50". Approximately half of the companies on the list are in the healthcare field. Most of the healthcare companies on the list are hospital systems, plus a few insurance companies, medical schools, and healthcare corporations. In addition to the 25 healthcare employers on the list, several large universities also made the list, and universities also employ many healthcare workers.
The AARP selected the top 50 companies based on the job opportunities for over 50 workers, as well as the benefits and work environment for mature, experienced professionals.
Following are the top five healthcare employers and their ranking on the list:
1. Scripps Health: a non-profit health system based in San Diego, Calif., consisting of four acute-care hospitals on five campuses, 2,600 affiliated physicians, home health care, and more. Scripps offers tuition reimbursement, retirement benefit plans, mentoring programs, and in-house training, according to the AARP feature.
3. National Institutes of Health (NIH): offering flexible schedules, wellness programs, job rotations, tuition reimbursement, excellent retirement benefits, and financial training, this government organization based in Bethesda, Maryland (outside of Washington, D.C.) offers federal jobs for health workers in a variety of specialty areas and backgrounds. This is the third year NIH has made the list.
6. YMCA of Greater Rochester (New York): This YMCA offers accommodations for physically disabled and dyslexic employees. A full-time retiree liaison on staff ensures that older workers and semi-retired workers are scheduled and managed appropriately based on their scheduling needs and physical capabilities. This is the sixth year this nonprofit facility has made the AARP's Top 50 list.
7. Atlantic Health System: This New Jersey-based nonprofit health system offers spousal benefits and health screenings as just a few of many perks offered to employees. This is the fifth year that Atlantic Health was included on the AARP's list.
8. Mercy Health System: Based in Wisconsin, Mercy Health offers numerous perks including financial planning, health screenings, and special social programs and inhouse support networks for workers over 55.
If you don't see an employer in your area, don't worry! There are about 20 more employers on the complete list, which you can view in its entirety on the AARP website.
- Full AARP List of 50 Best Employers for Over 50 Workers
- Happiest Medical Companies
- Medical Jobs In Greatest Demand
- Government medical jobs
- Types of healthcare employers