Types of Psychiatry Nurse Jobs:
Sub-specialties of Psychiatric Nursing:
- Hospital-based (inpatient)
- Child & Adolescent Psychiatry - treating mental illness in patients ages 18 or younger.
- Geriatric Psychiatry
- Chemical Dependency - treating patients with alcohol or drug addictions.
- Trauma - treating patients that have experienced a serious trauma that affects their mental health.
- Eating Disorders - treating patients with anorexia, bulimia, or other eating disorders.
- Home Health - treating patients in their homes.
- Outpatient / Clinics / Rehabilitation
- Public Health
Typical Schedule for Psychiatry Nurses:
Basic Pre-Requisites for Psychiatry Nurse Jobs:
Qualifications and Skill Requirements for Psychiatry Nurse Jobs:
- Knowledge of psychiatry field and mental health - experience working with psychiatric patients strongly preferred
- Able to work independently or as part of a team
- Patient documentation
- Assessment of symptoms, signs, verbal and non-verbal cues
- Critical thinking skills
- Compassion and Empathy
- Emergency response / Crisis management
- Conflict resolution
- Good physical condition. (Psychiatry nursing is very active, physically demanding role)